Wednesday, May 19, 2010

5 Words...


Sometimes I have no idea what I want to blog about.

Sometimes I have way too many ideas swirling around in my head.

Either way, I usually just say forget it, maybe post a pic and get on with it.

But today, my friend Mollye reminded me about a fun blog meme called
"5 Words"

She gives us 5 words and we write what comes to mind with each word.

It's funny how sometimes we come up with similar thoughts and other times,
we all think of something different.

The 5 words are:
SKIN...BURGUNDY...CROSSROADS...FURRY...SANDWICH

Go ahead...visit Miz Mollye and tell her you're in.

You'll make a great friend in Mollye and have fun with the 5 words.

Okay, first up...

SKIN...
when I was growing up, sunscreen was a fairly new concept.
At least when I was a kid.
I literally remember when Coppertone was the only one.



And unfortunately, I remember when Hawaiian Tropic...with NO sunscreen,
just pure oil,
came on the market.
I loved it!!
The tan of the Islands...that's me!
An Island Girl living in Michigan.



Oh yes...
I was born to be a Hawaiian Tropic girl.
And my Grandma had fits about this.
Oh Grandma, not everyone has your lovely skin that tans to a beautiful brown.
Some of us have to burn and peel...
and burn and peel again...
to get a tan.

"I've never heard of skin cancer", I said.
And "what about all those people working in the fields in the old days?"

Well, I've heard of it now.
I will no doubt battle it down the road, sooner rather than later,
thanks to all of those years where I "burned and peeled" to get a tan.
Which is why my girls and I are friendly with dermatologists.
And self-tanners.
Just in case.
It is also why I sound like my Grandmother these days.
How on earth do I raise blonde girls in Florida???
By preaching sunscreen.
Since day 1...
they knew about sunscreen.

Today, I have a ballerina who hates to be tan.
Whew...
But I have a tennis player who loves to have golden skin
to go with that long blonde hair.
She's just like me...
only smarter:-)
Because we have a deal...
If she somehow manages to get a pretty golden color
while wearing a hat and her 50+ sunscreen,
I let her keep it.
My golden girl.

Burgundy...
Hmmm...tough one.
I guess I think of the color.
I like it...but i don't use it, don't wear it.
Taylor knitted a friend a beautiful burgundy scarf for Christmas.
It was gorgeous.
The color was so rich...
maybe I need to wear burgundy this Fall.

Crossroads...
def...a. A place where two or more roads meet.
My girls are at an age where there will be many crossroads.
And many forks in the road.
I hope when they stop at the Crossroads Cafe, they stop to think...
and pray...



and they choose the right road.
Because it is far too easy to get lost traveling along the wrong road.
And I hope they remember that all roads
...lead home!



FURRY...
Okay...did you honestly think I could write about "furry"...
and not write about my own furballs?
If so, you do not know me AT ALL:-)
Today, I want you to meet one of my guys...
the sweet, handsome goldendoodle named
Maui.
I know you want him but he's all mine! lol



SANDWICH...
Three letters...
PBJ
This is the BEST. SANDWICH. EVER!!!!!


And my mom made the best PB&J's ever!
Today I like strawberry and raspberry jam but back then...
grape jelly all the way.
And please cut the sandwich on the diagonal like my mom always did:-)
And make sure there is just enough jelly to make it ooze out a bit.

But mom...you were wrong about one thing.
Wonder bread IS better than the store brand.


Oh how I begged for Wonder bread.
My mom said it was too expensive and didn't taste any better.
But when I grew up and finally bought my own...it was so soft and...
WHITE!
Yes, I confess...
I love white bread.
Seriously, if you're honest, isn't soft, fresh white bread with PB & J the BEST???
I know we're not supposed to eat it and I don't...
but can't we get our whole grains somewhere else?
Just think...this generation is growing up with PBJ and whole grain bread.
Very sad... :-)

But Mom, you were right about one thing...
this stuff is not nearly as good as it looks.


Yes, it was a waste of money.
But I had to find that out for myself!

We don't eat many these days as Taylor is allergic to peanut butter.
She has literally saved me from one of the best treats ever...
grilled pb&j sandwiches.
If you've never had one...you are missing out!!!

Second favorite sandwich...
Fried Egg Sandwich.
And nobody makes these like my Dad.
When my mom wasn't home, we had fried egg sandwiches...
I think it was because this was all he knew how to cook at the time.
But it didn't matter because they are AMAZING.
I just know McDonalds got the idea for an egg mcmuffin from my dad.
But his is WAY better, trust me!

Guess that's it for the 5 word game.
Remember to stop by Mollye's to let her know you're playing along.

XOXOXO
Suzanne






2 comments:

  1. I used to tan all the time, and now I realize how bad it is! I do miss having a little color, though.
    My kids love Goober! We always have a couple jars.

    Have I told you I love your header? Well...I do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha I love all your takes on these words. Yep I was a vain about my tan girl even into my early 60's. Sorry to have to admit that. But no more.....now it is Jergans self tanning and other than an orange big toe once in awhile it's ok.

    Don't you worry peaches, your little gals will ALWAYS know their way back home.

    Hi Freddie....yeppers yOU are the ultimate little furbaby.

    And now I gotta go cause I'm heading into the kitchen to have a pbj sandwich on WHEAT bread:) and I will peetrend it is white bread! XXMollye

    ReplyDelete

So, what do ya think? Do tell...I'd love to hear it:) Be Happy...

Follow Me on Pinterest

Blog Top Sites